Friday, August 12, 2011

It's all mental.

It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. ~George Sheehan

I read this quote today and I completely agree that the biggest challenge in running is mental.  It is not listening when your mind tells you that you are done, even when your body is ready to keep going.  It's getting past that urge to make excuses to avoid a workout.  It's getting past that first mile, where I am struggling to get into a groove.   It's getting to the end of whatever distance/time goal I am working on that day. 

If you think about it, it's more of a miracle that a run happens at all.  There are good things about running, too.  Endorphins are great!  There's nothing like finishing a run and feeling such a high, even through the sweat and tired muscles.  It's a sense of accomplishment I get that's unlike anything else I've ever done. 

Tomorrow, I finish C25K.  I look forward to continuing my training, and increasing my distance and speed.  I am leaning more towards the "love" side of my love/hate relationship with running. 

No comments:

Post a Comment