Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Home from vacation, now back to reality.

This is a picture of the lake where we stayed in Northeast PA last week.  What a gorgeous place, but it's definitely in the middle of nowhere!  Kayaking was so much fun, and it was a more difficult upper body workout than I expected.  I guess once you cross the lake a few times, you don't really realize how much you are working until you stop paddling. 

This was the first time I've run with my sister in a few years.  She has a much faster pace than me since she's been running on a regular basis.  On Thursday, I started off too fast, and my first mile was over a minute faster than I usually run.  Which would've been great, except we hit some major hills.  http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/47533750/  It didn't help that my feet were wet from the rain and I got blisters.  I'm glad I didn't realize how hilly this was until after it was over!  I'm not ready to be a cat. 5 hill runner yet.  The most amazing thing about this run was that we saw a black bear!  That's the first one I've ever seen outside of a zoo.  Even after all of these years of camping, no bears until my sister and I see one crossing the road.  He didn't even look at us.  We kept going, and I wasn't worried about him.

Our Saturday run was much less strenuous.  I wouldn't have been able to tackle those hills again!  http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/47535436/#climbs  What I surprise that when I checked mapmyrun.com, this route is also considered pretty hilly.  I'm not sure exactly what the climb ratings mean, but this is a 5/1, the other route was 5/2.  This gives me confidence, as my pace on this run was my best ever for a 3 mile run, and these are some of the steepest climbs I've done.  Wow!  The photo below is the view we saw at the end of this run - the sun coming through the trees.  It was really wonderful, and I had to run inside the lodge to get my camera to get this picture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment